Week 12 Lab

More Ted Talks

A New Theory of Human Intelligence

I absolutely loved this video. In essence, I do believe in talent to some degree. However, you cannot determine talent at the age of 11 based on arbitrary measures. Talent is something you make bloom, and I believe that every child should have the opportunity to polish their talent the way they want to. By telling kids that they are something, like slow or gifted, they will believe you and start to act that way, for better or for worse. Changing this system will require a lot more effort by educators, but that is necessary to see the rewards of a better system for all,

Copyright is Brain Damage

I was not surprised to hear that artists often don't make a lot of money from copyright and that most of the money made goes to the corporations. However, I never really thought about how copyright can hurt the artist by lessening exposure and stopping the circulation of their art. Additionally, I agree that art needs an external influence to exist.  For example, I love standup comedy, but without something to make fun of or comment on, there would be no standup. There is a fine balance to dealing with inspiration versus theft, but it is a balance that we need to find.
File:Chris D'Elia.jpg
Chris D'Elia, one of my favorite comedians. Source: Wikimedia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Andrew the CS Major

Week 9 Story: Mr. Tanuki's Heist