Reading Notes: Hero Tales, Part A

Tales of the North American Indians by Stith Thompson (1929).

The Jealous Uncle

Uncle Killing His Nephews:
Why is this just accepted? I absolutely do not understand. If this was maybe a cultural misunderstanding then I could get that but this does not seem normal in their culture. I am so confused. Why does his brother allow this and why does his wife allow this? I do like how he gets his just desserts at the end though?

Bluejay and His Companions

Bluejay the Bully:
From the title and plot of this story so far, I think that Bluejay is going to be the protagonist. However, I kind of don't like him because of how he treated Grouse. I am hoping that his adventures will teach him to be a kinder person to those around him and not be such a bully.

Hitting on the Head with a Bone:
I think there is an opportunity for a story here. So at the beginning Squirrel and Bluejay both grab sharp bones to hit the person below them after their climbing battle. What if the bones were actually for some other purpose and Bluejay was mistaken. He would win triumphantly and be faced with a scene of people absolutely mortified. I will have to think of what the bones could have been actually used for. Maybe there is a bell at the top and the bone is to ring the bell.
File:Pole Climbing.jpg
Two people climbing poles, presumably racing. Source: Wikimedia



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Andrew the CS Major

Week 9 Story: Mr. Tanuki's Heist