Week 6 Lab: TED Talk Videos

The Danger of a Single Story

- I totally agree, we are very impressionable as children and even alter and falsify the world around us to fit the media and stories that we consume. While this can be a healthy imaginative exercise, it also holds the potential to create disillusionment with our situation in life.

- She isn't saying to read stories that are directly related to you. Rather, she says to, in a way, diversify your storybook portfolio and be exposed to multiple varieties of literature. Make sure you read stories which may shed some light on your own life and culture, but also read the other stuff to get a wider view of the world around you.

- I believe that you can do all the research in the world on culture, but you will never understand it unless you go there and meet its people. Stories are amazing, but can only take you so far. Hearing from other peoples' accounts, no matter if it is a single story or numerous and diversified versions, will always include a lens. The only way to remove this lens is to see it for yourself.


Imaginary Friends and Real-World Consequences

- Okay, I just wanna know who is reading a whole Harry Potter book in 3 hours. I read them when I was a kid so maybe I was a slower reader back then but is 3 hours not way too fast for even a conservative estimate?



Illustration of Harry Potter. Source: Wikimedia

- I've always noticed parasocial relationships, but never knew the term for it. I tend to get pretty attached to fictional characters, and my roommates and I will spend a lot of time debating on which fictional character in a show or a movie is the best or the coolest. In addition, I notice that there is a parasocial relationship with musicians I like, and if somebody leaves one of my favorite rappers off of their top 5 list then I feel like they're almost attacking a friend of mine.

- This makes sense with how much we see characters we know and love in marketing efforts. If a person cares about a fictional character, then the marketer has already won half the battle. Those feelings will translate, perhaps subconsciously, to the product being marketed.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Andrew the CS Major

Week 9 Story: Mr. Tanuki's Heist