Topic Research: A Sea Voyage

I have settled on having the theme of my project be a sea voyage. However, I don't think I want to be constrained by one time period. My story will string together many of the stories that we read throughout the weeks. For one story may have the main character caught up in a Greek myth, where the next finds him face to face with a band of pirates, and the next has him battling a legendary sea serpent. I think a sea voyage really lends itself to exploration, in the obvious sense, but also in the thematic and historical sense.
Ship braving a stormy sea. Source: Public Domain Pictures

1) Homer's Odyssey http://mythfolklore.blogspot.com/2014/05/myth-folklore-unit-homers-odyssey.html

I really want to base my story structure after Homer's Odyssey. This week I've really enjoyed reading about how Odysseus had one final destination, but his journey takes him on multiple stops, twists, and turns. That type of structure is perfect for exploring multiple worlds and themes, and will also allow me to mix in some cool stories from different units into one overall story.

2) Sinbad http://mythfolklore.blogspot.com/2014/06/myth-folklore-unit-voyages-of-sindbad.html

Professor Gibbs recommended looking at Sinbad if I was going to do a sea voyage story, and I definitely will! Just like how I said I wanted to structure my story like Homer's Odyssey, Sinbad does just that. I don't know much about Sinbad, but I'm excited to see what kinds of Arabic sea journeys he details.

3) Pirate Stories https://americanfolklore.net/folklore/pirate-stories/

One of my project's ideas was to have my theme be pirate stories. However, I feel that I may just have one pirate story in my project about a sea voyage. The two topics obviously mesh pretty well, given pirates were mainly known for their maritime antics. Having my main character run into some pirates would definitely make for an exciting course of events. Out of the list linked, I kind of like "Dem Bones", but I'll have to do more research.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Andrew the CS Major

Week 9 Story: Mr. Tanuki's Heist