A Growth Mindset

I've definitely heard of similar concepts, but never Carol Dweck and her growth mindset idea. I think that I agree with it to a certain extent. I think that failure can be demoralizing for a lot of students, so it can be good to frame unsatisfactory results in a manner that encourages future improvement. Also, at the end of the day, the point is to learn, not to reach certain grades. However, I think a lot of kids might not respond to a growth mindset centric for education because they do not have a growth mindset. The issue with a lot of students is not that they are stupid, it is that they do not care that much about school in the first place. The growth mindset approach, in my opinion, works wonders for students who care about learning and improving, but I also think that it does little to encourage those who are less motivated. In fact, I believe the traditional education system is good for motivating students because there are consequences for poor performance. The philosophy should definitely change based on the students themselves.
29 Ways to Stay Creative. Source: Growth Mindset Memes

Comments

  1. I agree that failure is demoralizing not just for students, but everyone in general. Students are afraid of failing a test. Lawyers are afraid of losing a case. Engineers are afraid of making a mistake in their designs. In this aspect, I think the growth mindset is helpful to initiate effort and provide motivation to continue on and learn from failures. I also agree that students have to be willing to put forth the effort in order for the growth mindset strategy to be effective in motivating them to continue to learn.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Andrew the CS Major

Week 3 Story: Pig Out