Reading Notes: Cherokee, Part B

Myths of the Cherokee by James Mooney (1900).


Persimmons:
First of all, before I even read the story, I have to shout out persimmons. The stories mention that the Possum and the Terrapin go out together to look for persimmons. Persimmons are the most underrated fruit of all time. They bring a combination of a very firm texture and high sweetness that is rare in many other fruits. Personally, I have them EASILY in my top 3, but I have a lot of friends who have never even had them!
File:Fuyu persimmon fruits, one cut open.jpg
Cross-section of a persimmon. Source: Wikipedia


Ears As Spoons:
All I have to say is I really hope the Terrapin washed those ears before using them as spoons. Also, that is pretty dang disrespectful, but at the same time, the wolf started it. I am not sure which side I'm on yet.

Terrapin Shell:
I like how the story explains why terrapin shells are patterned the way they are. The shell broke when he was thrown into the water and hit a rock, so the Terrapin had to fix it, although there were some scars left where the pieces had initially shattered. I find that a lot of Native American stories are meant to, at their core, explain the world around them. Very often the story will end with a connection to the present, and why things are the way there are. I think that is a great structure for a story that we definitely see in other cultures, but none as prevalent as in Native American folklore.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Andrew the CS Major

Week 9 Story: Mr. Tanuki's Heist