Reading Notes: Lang, Part B

The Violet Fairy Book by Andrew Lang and illustrated by H. J. Ford (1901).
The Crimson Fairy Book by Andrew Lang and illustrated by H. J. Ford (1903).

Greed:
One thing that I've noticed in the stories that I have read so far this unit is that greed is never rewarded well. Usually, the reward for greed is death. This is shown in The Crab and the Monkey but is also apparent in The Envious Neighbour and The Sparrow with the Slit Tongue


Tanuki:
I have actually seen a tanuki in real life at the zoo! It was really cute and looked like a mix of a fox and a ferret and a raccoon. Although the one that I saw looked nice and cute, these stories show that a lot of them can be evil in Japanese folklore!
Image result for tanuki
A tanuki, the Japanese "raccoon dog". Source: Wikimedia

He Kind of Forgot:
Wait... so the tanuki's son just kind of... forgot he could do magic? This is giving me major Game of Thrones Season 8 flashbacks. How do you just remember that your are a great magician? I don't know, this part made me shake my head a bit. The funny thing is that he did not even need to use magic at all to get revenge on his father, so him actually being able to do magic does not have any relevance.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Andrew the CS Major

Week 9 Story: Mr. Tanuki's Heist