3 Storybook Favorites

The Nutcracker

This one immediately stuck out to me because of the time that I saw the ballet of The Nutcracker live with my mom! However, there were no words at all. I could kind of follow the story based on the actions on the stage, but what I really noticed was how precise all of the dancers' movements were. It was clear to see that they had put dozens, even hundreds of hours into putting on this performance. That's why I really liked this storybook. She describes things from the point of view of the dancers themselves which is a really cool way to look at it.

Shumka performs the Hopak. Source: New Pathway
Ghost stories of OU

I remember going on the ghost tour in my first week at OU. This was a really cool alternate way to show some of the stories. I feel that scary stories really benefit from being told in these more human avenues such as diaries and text messages. The dark color theme fits with the scary story theme as well. The author definitely put a lot of effort into the structure of the blog and it was a really fun read through. Also, the use of photographs from around campus helped to really bring the stories to life.

Italian Fairy Tales

The introduction here was nice with the definitions for "fairy tale". My favorite part was how in both stories she alters the details of the story but keeps the main ideas and themes present. This culminates in this author's version and the original version ending on the exact same line. This is a clever way to make the story more lighthearted, but tie up the story with the intentions of the original fairy tale. In addition, I really like Italian folklore so this one hit a sweet spot with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Andrew the CS Major

Week 3 Story: Pig Out